Influenza is a highly infectious acute respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. Influenza affects people of all ages. Outbreaks of influenza occur almost every year, usually in winter. This is why it is also known as seasonal flu.
Flu is often self-limiting with most people recovering in 2-7 days. However, flu can be severe and can cause serious illness, especially in the very young, those over 65 years and pregnant women. Serious respiratory complications can develop, including pneumonia and bronchitis, to which older people and those with certain chronic medical conditions are particularly susceptible.
- Flu can occasionally cause complications in otherwise healthy people, including pneumonia and an increased risk of heart attack or stroke.
Who should be vaccinated?
Vaccination is strongly recommended for:
- persons 65 and over
- those with a long-term medical condition such as diabetes, heart or lung disease
- people whose immune system is impaired due to disease or treatment
- residents of nursing homes and other long stay institutions
- persons with a body mass index (BMI) over 40
- pregnant women (can be given at any stage of pregnancy)
- healthcare workers (helps prevent spread of flu to vulnerable people)
- carers (helps prevent spread of flu to vulnerable people)
- people with regular close contact with poultry, water fowl or pigs
Who vaccine is not suitable for?
Our flu vaccine is not suitable for people under 18 years old.
You may also not be able to have a flu vaccination if:
- You feel unwell, have a high temperature or an infection
- You are allergic to either eggs or chicken
- You have had an allergic reaction to a previous jab
- You have any other allergies
- If you are not sure about any of these points, our pharmacist will be able to advise and help you.
How much will a flu vaccine cost?
If you have a medical card or a doctor visit card and fall into one of the categories where vaccination is strongly recommended then you can receive the vaccine completely free of charge.
If you do not have a medical card or doctor visit card, then a fee of €15 will apply.
Please fill out the form below to book an appointment. Please allow 30 mins for your vaccination, this includes 15 mins after being vaccinated for observation. Wear loose fitting clothes around the top of your arm for ease of access to vaccination site.